Friday, March 23, 2007

Dreamgirls. Yes You Heard Me Correctly...

6/10

I have to mention what really happened here.

My cousin Allyson and I were supposed to go for Japanese food, and then go see Black Snake Moan. On our way, she drove into this MASSIVE pothole and got a flat. We had to park the car and change our plans last minute, so we hopped on a bus and went to Yonge and Eg. The movie wasn't playing at that location, so she suggested Dreamgirls. Normally I would have said "hell no" but she was already having a shit day, and we had both gone to my Uncle's funeral earlier. I decided to not be a pain (odd, I know).

Now to the movie.

It was okay. What really weirded both of us out, was the fact that a full hour passed in the movie before they had their first musical singing scene. This made things very strange - since you started to believe that it was an average drama. Some of those scenes were kinda awkward, but the one scene where Jennifer Hudson belts out:

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"

IS AMAZINGLY riveting - and put shivers down my back the whole time. What a voice.

I laughed that one of the characters had the same name as my sister, because Laurelle goes through life with people thinking she is black before they meet her. HAHAHAHAHA.

Eddie Murphy did not earn an Oscar in my opinion, so the fact that he stormed out of the theatre is just proof that he thinks he's more wonderful than he is. Perhaps it's because...oh I don't know...that NORBIT was released the same week?

No comments: