Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

5/10

Why?

Why do I ever go against my better judgment and see a movie that never really interested me from the beginning? I must assume that the opinions of those around me HAVE to be decent. Yet, I get into the theatre and halfway through the movies, I start to think...


WHY?

Is it that they really don't know what a good movie is? Is it that they are unable to notice the mediocrity of the movie? Is it that they are so happy to be away from their screaming kids, that they could be watching a blank screen and that would make them happy? Is it that I have seen so many movies, that I am forced to pick them apart?

Take my mother for example. She could watch any cheesy movie you put in front of her and she will like it. She gets angry at me for being so picky with what I like.

Anyhow, back to the movie.

Story - meh.
Performances - meh.
Length - too long

Saving grace - Benjamin narrated most of the movie, and at the end of each life stage, he would complete that stage with a very thought-provoking statement.

For example;


"Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss. "

I was impressed by Kate Blanchett's dancing abilities, although she didn't do the long spins/twirls herself. What a kick-ass body!

One of my favourite parts of this movie, was the character that was hit by lightning 7 times. Yes, it was a bit of comedic relief, but I still wonder what the point of his character was? If you notice, Benjamin never answers this man when he tells him each of the seven stories. He just looks at him, and walks away. Is it that he treats everyone with dignity by allowing them the chance to be heard? Or is it something deeper? Can anyone shed some light here?

An okay movie. I should have saved my money for something Canadian made. I'm never disappointed in Cdn films.

I learned that I should never ignore my gut feeling.

No comments: