Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Rachel Getting Married

8/10

I know there are a lot of Anne Hathaway haters out there, and truthfully I have no idea why.

I think this girl has major talent.

Her performance in this movie was excellent. At one point, she makes a toast at her sister's rehearsal dinner. You want to squirm in your seat. She manages to make the audience feel so awkward and uncomfortable with this toast...which illustrates the breadth of her talent.

This movie was quite good. I love movies where it's hard to tell if there is a script, or whether you are spying on a normal life. For an example of this, see Kids.

If I ever get married, I want a wedding like these two. Every single culture was jammed into this evening - looked like the best party ever. I'd want a wedding like this one, or the one that Toni Collette had in "In Her Shoes".

But seriously, who wants to get married.

I digress.

I had a MAJOR problem with her husband's glasses though. I know there are people out there trying to bring back the MASSIVE glasses trend, but I hope that is kiboshed. STAT.


Seriously - look at them.

How embarrassing! At least wear some fucking contacts for your WEDDING. It's your W-E-D-D-I-N-G day!!!!!

You will be in pictures for the rest of your life with these horrific glasses. Shame, shame, shame.

On another note, who is this Mather Zickel character? I've never seen him before and he's absolutely adorable.


Not a bad movie overall. Performances are good, plot is decent.

Saw this at the Bloor Cinema for the double bill. Remind me not to sit in the single seats on the balcony again. My fat ass barely squeezes into them.

3 comments:

Nicole - The F**k You Up Fairy said...

First, I'm glad to see you finally got these reviews done. I knew you had it in you girl.

Second, I thought your comment about Hathaway was a bit odd because all I ever seem to hear is that she's such an amazing talent and I just don't see it. Every performance I've seen by her (Brokeback Mountain, Devil Wears Prada, Becoming Jane etc) are so contrived and boring. At this point, I find her so tedious to watch that I really can't bear the thought of sitting through another one of her films which, despite the good reviews, is why I haven't seen this one (well, I've also seen a couple of trailers and it didn't seem particularly interesting or original).

Finally, the groom is played by Tunde Adebimpe who's better known as the lead singer of a great band called TV on the Radio. Those are the style of glasses he always wears and I think he looks quite fetching (I know I'm not the only one). Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with them and I don't get why he (or anyone) should have to wear contacts on his wedding day.

So...you wanna catch a movie this weekend?

Meredith said...

Once you see this movie you will see what talent she has. That and the Oscar performance illustrated her ease with performing live, with a beautiful voice to boot.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the glasses comment though. I assumed he was a singer because he sang his vows in the movie...some Neil Young song. Sounded lovely when he sang it...not so much when Neil does. I'm sure you'll disagree with that comment too :)

MM

CB said...

The glasses were HIDEOUS!!

Had a really hard time liking this movie - getting past his glasses to start with, then the size of the woman's nose that played Rachel's sister.... you just don't see that in movies these days, and I kept focusing on it (along with the glasses on her fiance).

I think there is so much dysfunction around me as it is, I really didn't need to experience 2 hours of a movie - all about family dysfunction. I prefer light movies so I can 'escape' reality for awhile. Know what I mean?

I saw the movie so long ago - but also remember something about how much I hated the constant music being played and thought it was insane. I would have shot them if it were at my house.

:)
Thank you for listening to me rant. I have to say, Anne did a superb acting job though!